Thursday, January 14, 2010

Family History

I spent the evening at the Family History library. The LDS church has a new program for genealogy called Family Search. It is so neat and makes it easy to do genealogy. The older I get, and the more family members that pass away, the more important this information seems to be. Mike and I have been working on his family line. We were working on his mother and father's information, and his sister Mary that passed away in 2007. When we put the information in about his grandparents, it found their information and the town they were born in. We were able to add the information we had about their marriage, when they died and where they were buried.

I am trying to work on my family information. My grandparents lived in Canada and are buried somewhere in Vancouver. It dawned on me that I don't even know where they are buried or even if they are buried vs being in a vault somewhere. Lots of detective work and the biggest problem is my mother has had a stroke and some of her memory is diminished. I will be contacting my Uncle to see what information he has available.

The interesting part about doing genealogy is you find all kind of neat skeletons. For instance Mike's grandfather was born with the surname of Nash. Now his father (Nash)seems to have not been a nice person so his mother ended up marrying a man with the surname of Kuhn. But no information has been found the says that Jesse (Mike's grandfather) was ever adopted by Mr. Kuhn, or if he just took his last name. I don't know what the Social Security Records show or anything. What a quandary.

And at my great grandparents 60th wedding anniversary, it was discovered that even though Morley and Margaret, my great grandparents had been married 60 years, their daughter (my Grandmother) was 65. What a scandal. Seems Margaret had been married to a man who was killed when my grandmother was a small child and Morley was her second husband. I am not sure what the scandal was all about considering some of the family relations of today. Some individuals family trees have no forks in them and you can really tell.

So, the detective work goes on, stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutest Puppies in the world

Cutest Puppies in the world
Sammie and Penny

Our Retirement Home

Our Retirement Home
The Tilt'n Hilt'n