Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday's Update

I can't believe it's been so long since I updated my blog. It has been a very busy 2 1/2 weeks. Thanks to a wonderful family friend or two, I no longer have a bathtub in my frontroom or on my deck. The jacuzzi is in the bathroom, sheet rock is up, paint is on the ceiling and walls. Tomorrow is tile. I can begin to see the end maybe. It has been a difficult week, alot to do at home, alot on my desk at work and THE BATHROOM. To top if off, Mike is on call again. And I feel so sorry for the guy, he has worked 41 hours of overtime (on top of 40 hours of straight time) in 6 days. And still 1 1/2 days to go. That is pretty tough on an old dude. One day ended up being 20 hours long.

Today is Valentines Day and a Happy Valentines day to everyone. My sweetheart had big plans for Friday night, dinner out and flowers. Well, he dropped the flowers off at 2am on his way from one call to another and I had cheese and crackers for dinner. Am I disappointed, not really because I know the place I hold in his heart. And he works so hard for our family. Plusssssss, this week just paid for our vacation in two weeks. Yippppeee can you say Vegas Baby. Not that I love Vegas that much, but it's warm there (usually). And work isn't there, we can sleep in if we want to and do nothing but rest.

Brandon is getting married in 6 days. This has been a very bitter sweet time. I have tried to keep a low profile and mend my steam roller mentality and ways. I am trying to be a better mother-in-law this time around. I am going to try to live up to the example of the best one in the world. My mother-in-law Virginia was a stellar example of how to be. For the first few years of our marriage, she was very intimidating to me. Not afraid to attempt anything and accomplished at just about everything she tried. She worked full time and managed a house and a family in a way that I could only dream about. But as I grew to know her and love her, it became apparent that she had her own worries about being the best at everything and being afraid of failure. She taught me so much about patience and perseverance. And a lot about home arts and how to fake it when you are doing homemade stuff like pie crusts etc.

I was so blessed to be able to care for her in the last years of her life and to be able to give back to her a little of the love and caring she gave to me. If I can only live up to her example as a mother-in-law, I will be blessed yet again. She has been gone for 2 years now and I still do things and find myself reaching for the phone to call her and tell her about it. I know she is watching over me and I can't wait until my test is done and I can be with her and my Dad again.

1 comment:

  1. I know you think you were a bad mother in law but you werent. Infact you were anything but a horrible mother in law. You were with me through it all and I with you. I do miss Grandma Kuhn very much as well. I miss our trips to Dairy Queen (she shared a passion for ice cream as much as I did) and to the DI. I loved being around her, she had such a special kind aura about her. I always felt calmer when she was near. As for Brandon getting remarried, I think you will do fine. You did fine the first time so this time will be a snap. You just have to remember that ppl have to live their own lives and even though we messed up thats our problem, not yours. I love you Edythe.

    ReplyDelete

Cutest Puppies in the world

Cutest Puppies in the world
Sammie and Penny

Our Retirement Home

Our Retirement Home
The Tilt'n Hilt'n